I have decided to use blog giveaway wins as a way to fill more shoe boxes. I spend a little time each day, a few minutes here and there, to enter giveaways for products or gift cards that would work for tucking into a shoe box. My first win was this $50 Visa Gift Card and two combination locks.
I received them on a Friday and on Saturday I shopped at Dollar General with three $5 off $25 coupons and lots of Hefty coupons. Their crayons and 10 packs of pens were on sale for 50 cents each, with the $5/$25 it made them just 40 cents each -- a fantastic price for my area. The Hefty were $1, just 80 cents with the discount and I had $1/2 coupons bringing them down to 30 cents each. I had to hit more than one store, or rather my husband did, to get it all as I didn't want to wipe them out. Thankfully there are several Dollar Generals in out little town.
My $50 win turned into $161 worth of products to tuck into shoe boxes. Here is the break down (prices include $5/$25 discount):
- 28 boxes of zipper bags -- 30 cents each
- 62 packs of crayons-- 40 cents each
- 2 pencil sharpeners (needed $1 to get to $25 to use $5/25) 40 cents each
- 54 pencils -- 4 1/2 cents each (3 -- 18 packs @ 80 cents each)
- 240 pens -- 4 cents each (24 -- 10 packs @ 40 cents each)
I am anxious to see if I win more items. I'll keep you posted :-).