Find your empty Shoe Boxes--ask shoe stores & stores like Kmart with
- Have one more than you plan to pack for overflow.
- Find a place to keep them with easy access.
- Under your bed.
- In a corner of your closet.
- Spread out under your shoes in your closet.
- On a closet shelf.
- In the Basement/garage.
Make a list of MUST haves for each shoe box--such as:
- Hygiene items
- School Supplies
Make a copy of the list for each shoe box.
- Attach this to the end or top of each box or tuck it inside.
- Keep a pen or pencil with your boxes.
Pack as you shop.
- Empty your purchases right into the boxes.
- Check off the item on your list for that box.
- If you have anything extra put it in your overflow box.
- You may have multiple packs that you split and it gives you extra.
- Make a copy of the checklist you are using for the boxes and use it to tally what is in your overflow box.
- Your overflow can be used to pack extra shoe boxes or donate it as fillers to the collection center or a packing party.
- You may also be able to trade with a friend--some of your extras for some of theirs and together you can pack more boxes.
- You can also use it to start the next year's boxes when you set up for another year of packing.
Benefits of packing this way.
- When next year's national collection week rolls around you will know exactly what you still need to buy.
- You will also know to stop buying a certain item because all of your boxes already have it--saving you money.
- If you find your boxes full early in the year you can choose to pack more boxes.
After packing our boxes this year my daughter, Sarah, printed out our list of must haves and we prepared our boxes and tucked in a few overflow items. Then when we needed more empty boxes for the packing party, they were all dumped out into a box so we could have the boxes for this year. I think I had better go get them organized like I just shared in this post. Happy packing!